Due to substantial growth and expansion, All City Pet Care Veterinary Emergency Hospital has immediate openings for a Veterinary Technician to join our General Practice and Emergency Hospital.
About All City Pet Care Veterinary Emergency Hospital
ACPCVEH is a 12 doctor General Practice/24 hour Emergency Hospital. We deliver a high level of care and take great pride in serving the community. We put a huge value on our staff, love what we do, and have fun together. This is a great opportunity to join a fantastic team! Please browse our site to learn more about our practice – www.allcitypetcareveh.com.
Compensation + Benefits
We offer a very generous compensation package and anticipate a progressive growth of earnings.
- Yearly Reviews
- Quarterly Bonus
- Holiday Pay
- Continuing Education
- Health, Life, Dental, Vision
This position is for those that unconditionally love animals and want to positively influence the lives of pets. The Veterinary Technician is an essential member of the hospital team and is a very rewarding position for someone looking to grow in a profession that will allow them to serve the animal community.
These positions are fast-paced and the candidate must be able to multitask while remaining calm and friendly. The Veterinary Technician supports the doctors in providing high quality patient care and excellent client service. More specifically, the Veterinary Technician is responsible for obtaining baseline medical information, performing routine procedures, and assisting with surgery.
You must be able to work flexible hours due to the nature of us being a 24/7 emergency pet hospital. This includes nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Routine procedures including:
- Baseline medical data: weight, temperature, heart rate, etc.
- Cursory examinations
- Nail trims
- Ear cleaning
- Anal gland expression
- Prophylactic dental care, including recognition of teeth abnormalities
- Diagnostic testing, including FeLV, FIV, heartworm, fecal analysis, and urinalysis
- Blood testing and cytology sampling
- Hospital medications, protocols, and general medical recommendations
- Utilization and maintenance of anesthesia and hospital equipment.
- Telephone etiquette
- English language
- Client service and interpersonal skills
- Patient restraint techniques
- Routine examinations and sample collection
- Dental scaling, polishing, and extraction
- Reading and interpreting patient charts and treatment sheets (travel/circle sheets)
- Injections and catheter insertion
- Dental scaling and polishing (in some cases, dental extractions)
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, E-mail, and AVImark experience preferred)
- Professional and courteous
- Willingness to learn
- Attention to detail
- Adherence to procedures and protocols
- Works well in team environment
- Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision
- Follows time clock procedures for clocking in and out at the start and end of the shift.
- Reports to work on time for each shift.
- Ensures the treatment area is clean and tidy, maintaining a professional appearance at all times.
- Assists the Hospital Manager with special projects during slow times.
- Maintains a professional and calm demeanor with all clients.
- Greets the client and patient and helps ensure an orderly transition from the reception area to the exam room.
- Acts as an intermediary between the doctor and the client, responsible for tasks such as client follow-up phone calls after a visit or surgery.
- Clearly and accurately explains all services, procedures, and treatments.
- Recommends routine treatments and educates the client appropriately.
- Provides the client with all appropriate educational materials.
- Updates patient files accurately and in a timely fashion to allow for an efficient client check-out process.
- Notes any recommended products or services in the chart and communicates these with the Client Service Representative.
- Demonstrates and utilizes proper restraining techniques.
- Reads and accurately interprets the patient chart.
- Obtains and records baseline medication information.
- Performs cursory examinations, including assessment of the eyes, ears, and teeth.
- Completes routine procedures such as nail trims, ear cleaning, and anal gland expression.
- Completes all necessary updates to the patient chart, specifically the treatment sheet (travel/circle sheet).
- Utilizes the hospital computer system to enter appropriate products and services from the treatment sheet (This responsibility may be shared with the Client Service Representative).
Laboratory and Diagnostics:
- Collects appropriate blood samples for various diagnostic tests.
- Properly runs diagnostic tests.
- Obtains necessary cytology samples for ear swabs and skin scrapings.
- Collects samples for fecal analysis and urinalysis.
- Accurately completes and submits all laboratory samples and paperwork.
- Properly obtains and processes radiographs utilizing the correct protective garments, labeling, positioning, and exposure.
Patient Treatment and Surgical Assistance:
- Completes dental scaling and polishing.
- Prepares patient for surgery, including aseptic technique and monitoring equipment.
- Selects, calculates, and administers appropriate dosages of anesthetic agents.
- Monitors patient during anesthesia and recovery.
- Maintains surgical packs (cleanliness, contents, and sterility).
- Completes updates to the surgical log.
- Maintains exam and surgical equipment.
- Provides post-surgery updates to clients.
Additional Skills/Requirements Needed for Emergency Hospital Veterinary Technician Positions:
- Assisting with surgery
- Pulling up and administering medications
- Monitoring patient care in ICU
- Performs TPR’s, knowing the normal range(s) for pets
- Ability to assess workflow, staying one step ahead of your doctor
- Be comfortable with nature of emergency hospital (severe injury/illness, blood, euthanasia)
- Willingness to learn more advanced skill set such as feeding tube placements, thoracocentesis, chest tube management, etc…
- Great nursing and patient care for critically ill patients
- Ability to handle highly emotional clients with a calm and caring demeanor
- Willingness to continue CE training in emergency medicine
- Can generate estimates and take homes for doctors as well as relay information to clients
- •ou must be able to work flexible hours due to the nature of us being a 24/7 emergency pet hospital. This includes nights, weekends, and holidays
Qualifications – Education/ Experience:
- High school degree
- Bachelor’s degree in related area is a plus but not required
- CVT or RVT certification
- One year experience working as CVT/RVT preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Competitive – depends on experience
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States