In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Technicians are an invaluable member of the hospital team who work directly with other Technicians and supporting medical staff to ensure productive and quality veterinary care at all times.
- An employee in this position must have a sense of caring for animals, be able to lift approximately 30 pounds, walk dogs of up to 130 pounds.
- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
- Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
- Monitor, record, and report physical signs of hospitalized/boarded pets
• Clean cages, runs, boarding area and/or hospital facilities, including exam rooms, treatment room
• Take incoming pets to appropriate areas
• Bathe pets when necessary and prepare pets for dismissal
• Retrieve pets that are being discharged
• Re-stock pharmacy areas, surgery, dental and exam rooms with the appropriate supplies
• Perform other duties as assigned
Demonstrates a full working knowledge of Avimark procedures and functional applications.
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
ARLINGTON, Texas, United States