Horn Lake AH is a small animal practice, located about 15 minutes south of Memphis, TN. We have been providing high-quality medical care at an affordable price in our community for more than 20 years, and we are proud of the connection we have established with our clients. We are equipped with digital x-ray, ultrasound, in-house lab, endoscopy and a CO2 laser. Our trained team members enjoy the busy atmosphere and the challenging cases seen daily in our emergency facility. We are committed to using science, technology, and compassion to provide exceptional care for pets and their families.
If you are interested in continued learning and a fun work environment and are motivated to contribute to an ever-evolving team, this may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for!
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Techs also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animal’s condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Perform initial evaluation of the pet’s condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pet’s record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
Responsibilities / Qualifications
- Licensed in Veterinary Technology in the state of Mississippi
- At least 1-3 years’ experience as a Veterinary Technician required
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays)
- SVP offers educational assistance for qualified teammates to enroll in AVMA-CVTEA accredited veterinary technician programs
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 4,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!
Earliest Start Date:
Horn Lake, Mississippi, United States