We are seeking compassionate and energetic licensed veterinary technicians to join our growing
team! Our licensed veterinary technicians are routinely entrusted with patient triage
assessments, anesthesia, dentistry, venipuncture and treatments for pets under our care. The
ideal applicant will possess the ability to perform tasks proficiently and in a timely manner with
minimal direction. Technicians also need to be friendly, adaptable, and communicate clearly
with the doctors, other hospital personnel, and clients to ensure that patients receive the care
that they need. Current LVT students, or technicians that have licensure in another state, are
also encouraged to apply and will be mentored by current staff members.
Acredale Animal Hospital was founded in 1986 as a general practice and has grown to two locations in Virginia Beach and in Chesapeake. Last year, we joined Southern Veterinary Partners and we are continuing to grow! SVP is a large network of over 4,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth. Our Virginia Beach location provides 24- hour emergency as well as routine care and surgical services to the Hampton Roads community in coastal Virginia. We have modern equipment including digital radiography, ultrasound, in-house laboratory equipment, and oxygen supplementation housing for patients
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Techs also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animal’s condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Perform initial evaluation of the pet’s condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pet’s record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
Responsibilities / Qualifications
- This is a 24 hour facility so must be able to work nights, weekends and or holidays
- Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology required
- Experience as a Veterinary Technician, preferred.
- Veterinary Technician Certification or Licensure (CVT, RVT, LVT, or LVMT).
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts.
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Experience with Avimark software is a bonus!
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays) – for eligible positions only
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 4,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!
Earliest Start Date:
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States