We are looking for a Veterinary Technician who is a quick learner and is seeking a long term position in order to build lasting relationships with our clients and their pets. Our technicians are responsible for keeping the treatment and surgery areas of our hospital functioning smoothly and productively; therefore, it is critical that you have excellent organizational and people skills, as well as a calm and caring attitude toward our patients and staff. A veterinary technician provides animal care by determining animal requirements; assisting in examinations and diagnostic procedures; assisting during surgical procedures; animal handling and restraint, maintain overall patient comfort and cleanliness in their environment; maintaining supplies and equipment; maintaining accurate electronic medical records.
Duties include, but are not limited to, general cleaning and maintenance of hospital, client education and interaction, assisting doctors with the treatment of patients, scheduling appointments and proper phone etiquette.
Must be able to work nights, Saturdays and holidays
Veterinary Technician Job Duties:
- Determines animal requirements by assisting in examinations; reviewing treatment plans and records; completing laboratory tests, and diagnostic imaging.
- Cares for animals by taking vital signs; collecting samples; administering medications via multiple routes, wound care; obtaining blood samples
- Supports animal examinations by assembling required supplies and instruments; securing and bringing animals to examination room; restraining animals; providing assistance as directed; confident with client communication
- Supports operations by assembling required supplies and instruments; setting-up surgery table instruments; restraining animals; completing local/regional anesthesia; operating and monitoring anesthetic machines; hooking-up ECG monitors; preparing surgical site; placing IV catheters; blood pressure measurements; cleaning-up post-surgical site; maintaining sterile conditions; obtaining and verifying medications.
- Perform dental prophylaxis and assisting doctors during oral surgery
- Maintains animals by feeding and watering animals; cleaning animals’ rooms, cages, and equipment; changing cages; observing for clinical signs of disease.
- Maintains safe, secure, healthy and humane environment by sterilizing and wrapping instruments; sanitizing and disinfecting holding and operating areas; storing sterile supplies; verifying shelf life; following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains animal records by documenting animal conditions, reactions, and changes; updating database and treatment plans
- Maintains equipment by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance
- Updates job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities; reading professional journals.
- Enhances service reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Skills/Qualifications: Knowledge of Animal Behavior, Animal Care, Documentation Skills, Analyzing Information, Clinical Skills, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Performing Diagnostic Procedures, Use of Medical Technologies, Attention to Detail, Patience, Verbal Communication, Practice Management Software Experience
- High school or equivalent
Veterinary Technician: 2 years
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
Plainfield, Illinois, United States