In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Veterinary Technician is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with the Veterinarian and supporting medical staff to ensure productive and quality veterinary care at all times.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
• Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
• Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
• Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
• Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
• Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
• Assists the veterinarian during the administration of chemotherapy and heartworm treatments, or other diseases such as lyme, lepto and parvovirus. Performs proper sanitization and disposal/clean up of materials used during treatment.
• Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
• Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
• Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
• Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
• Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
• Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
• Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
• Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
• Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
• Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
• Can perform the essential functions of a veterinary assistant.
o Monitor, record, and report physical signs of hospitalized/boarded pets
o Clean cages, runs, boarding area and/or hospital facilities, including exam rooms, treatment room, exotics and isolation area, employee lounge, bathrooms and doctor’s office
o Maintain hospital in a neat and sanitary condition
o Provide clean bedding, water and litter pans for pets
o Feed hospitalized/boarded pets as needed
o Exercise hospitalized/boarded dogs as needed
o Take incoming pets to appropriate areas
o Bathe pets and prepare pets for dismissal as needed, or when requested
o Retrieve pets that are being discharged
o Re-stock reception, pharmacy area shelves
o Do laundry
o Wash and sanitize pet dishes
o Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Basic Qualifications
• Certification as a Veterinary Technician is preferred, but will train the right candidate
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
• Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals.
• Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
• Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
• Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
• Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision making skills.
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.
Moline, Illinois, United States