HYBRID POSITION: VETERINARY TECHNICIAN/CLIENT SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (CSR)
About Heather Ridge Pet Hospital:
This job opening is for a hybrid position that will provide the staff member with cross-training as both a Client Services Representative and Veterinary Technician. The position will be spent part-time in each area, equaling full-time employment. Below are short job summaries and a list of responsibilities for the position.
- The Client Services Representative is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with a Hospital Manager and supporting medical staff to provide exceptional customer service while maintaining a smooth and efficient flow of clients and patients through the animal hospital.
- In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Veterinary Technician is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with the Veterinary Technician and supporting medical staff to ensure productive and quality veterinary care at all times.
- Responsible for greeting clients, determining the needs of the clients and patients, and completing the check-in and check-out process. Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Follows established policy and procedures in scheduling clients for prompt treatment of ill and/or injured patients, as well as proper scheduling of patients in need of vaccinations, rechecks, surgeries, in-hospital procedures, and other services that require the doctors’ and technicians’ time.
- Performs over-the-counter sales of merchandise such as food and special diets, shampoos, flea and tick control products, heartworm, etc. Demonstrates a technical knowledge of products and is capable of assisting clients with their product needs.
- Invoices clients, collects fees, makes change, and obtains authorization for credit charges following the credit policies of the hospital.
- Maintains appearance and cleanliness of the waiting room and reception area, including re-stocking of products, office supplies, client educational materials, hospital brochures, etc.
- Demonstrates a full working knowledge of PIMS procedures and functional applications.
- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
- Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- Graduated from a credentialed Veterinary Technician program, state certification is not required but preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Prior client service experience in related area preferred but not required
- Proper telephone etiquette and client service excellence
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, e-mail, and practice management software experience preferred)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task and still attend to details
- Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals.
- Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
- Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision making skills.
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States