VETERINARY TECHNICIAN – Part time position
About Heather Ridge Pet Hospital:
We are a full service companion animal hospital serving the communities of Sioux Falls, Harrisburg & Tea. Our services and facilities are designed to assist in routine preventive care; early detection and treatment of disease as your pet ages; and complete medicaland surgical care as necessary during his or her lifetime. We treat your pet as we would our own with quality and compassionate care.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Veterinary Technician is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with the doctors and supporting medical staff to ensure productive and quality veterinary care at all times.
- Responsible for greeting clients, determining the needs of the clients and patients, and completing the check-in and check-out process. Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Follows established policy and procedures in scheduling clients for prompt treatment of ill and/or injured patients, as well as proper scheduling of patients in need of vaccinations, rechecks, surgeries, in-hospital procedures, and other services that require the doctors’ and technicians’ time.
- Performs over-the-counter sales of merchandise such as food and special diets, shampoos, flea and tick control products, heartworm, etc. Demonstrates a technical knowledge of products and is capable of assisting clients with their product needs.
- Invoices clients, collects fees, makes change, and obtains authorization for credit charges following the credit policies of the hospital.
- Demonstrates a full working knowledge of PIMS procedures and functional applications.
- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
- Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- Graduated from a credentialed Veterinary Technician program, state certification is not required but preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Prior client service experience in related area preferred but not required
- Proper telephone etiquette and client service excellence
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, e-mail, and practice management software experience preferred)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to multi-task and still attend to details
- Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals.
- Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
- Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision making skills
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States