- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively. Able to perform a pre-physical including patient’s weight, temperature, reason for visit and brief history.
- Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Performs routine complete oral exam and cleaning on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted. Monitors patient during anesthetic procedures according to anesthetic safety guidelines.
- Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials. Maintains technical equipment.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas; maintains the gold cleanliness standard of the hospital throughout the facility.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently. Works collaboratively with all medical staff to ensure client communication standard is upheld at all times.
- Participates in rotating on-call schedule with veterinary technician staff including some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Vet Nurse / Technician
Earliest Start Date:
Chesterfield, Missouri, United States