The Surgical Assistant assists the veterinarian and technicians with patient care services in relation to surgery intake, discharge appointments, post-operative rechecks and wellness exams. This position assists in the preparation of patients for surgery, assists in patient restraint for exams, recovers patients after surgery, and assists in patient discharges.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Know basic veterinary medical concepts, including, but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks. Be able to communicate such information to clients.
- Knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering post-operative instructions in a competent and friendly manner
- Responsible for prepping patients for surgery, observing all clinic procedures, to enforce sterility and safety of patients
- Organize and maintain pre-operative area and operating room for patient anesthesia
- General duties in the operating room during surgery, assisting with movement of patients, recovery of patients, and general flow
- Able to monitor anesthesia with a clear idea of abnormal conditions
• Able to respond appropriately during an emergency, able to take directions from a veterinarian and/or veterinary technician, and maintain competency in CPR procedures
- Ensure anesthetic machines, pulse oximeters, scales, and other equipment are functional.
- When equipment is not working properly, report to the Manager or Lead Technician
- Assists veterinarians and technicians with medical exams as needed; involves but is not limited to fear-free restraint, vaccinations, other injections, intubation and preoperative blood work.
- Clean and sonicate surgical instruments and prepare surgical packs as needed.
- Assist with cleaning and replenishing supplies in all areas of the hospital as needed
- Required 1-year minimum experience in veterinary medical or animal husbandry in a veterinary hospital, shelter or spay/neuter clinic. 6 month minimum experience monitoring anesthesia and working in surgery.
- Passion for animals and animal welfare
- Strong background in customer service
- Flexibility with work hours and able to work additional hours when necessary
- Must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as a strong sense of personal accountability
- Excellent verbal communication skills and a team player
Earliest Start Date:
Oregon City, Oregon, United States