Retama Equine provides 24-hour care and services to horses and their owners in Selma, Texas. Retama operates a state-of-the-art equine hospital and provides both ambulatory and hospital-based services to the surrounding area. With a highly-trained staff and the latest technological advancements, we provide high-caliber equine veterinary care to the horses entrusted to us. Retama was founded in 1995 and has a reputation for providing exceptional care in the areas of lameness, surgery, hospitalization, wellness, medicine, and general care.
We are searching for a Hospital Manager to join our busy and growing hospital in Texas. The Hospital Manager is a leader and an integral member of the veterinary hospital management team. The Hospital Manager partners with the Managing Veterinarian to provide a smooth and profitable operation by driving revenue and managing costs while creating a hospital culture based on high quality patient care and exceptional customer service. Responsibilities include managing, planning, and coordinating the overall operations of the hospital, and cultivating a supportive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Planning
- Acts as a champion for change and identifies, documents, shares, and promotes best practices.
- Participates in the planning and budget maintenance process.
- Establishes goals for the practice and staff.
- Creates the hospital schedule and manages labor costs to budget.
- Develops and executes Retama’s growth strategy in conjunction with Managing Veterinarian and owners.
- Oversees employee benefits program and hospital insurance plans.
- Develops and implements hospital policy, including DEA/Controlled Substances and OSHA compliance.
- Performs quality checks and reviews of client files.
- Monitors computer systems and works with local and centralized IT resources to resolve technical systems/equipment issues.
- Manages a fleet of vehicles; assures maintenance is performed on vehicles and other medical equipment.
- Partners with the Managing Veterinarian to address staffing needs including hiring, training, reviewing, disciplining of staff & maintains employee files.
- Implements performance-based incentive and rewards and recognition programs when applicable.
- Manages staff, including ambulatory staff and satellite staff if applicable.
- Tracks and maintains current licensure for all DVMs.
- Demonstrates and reinforces the highest level of client service.
- Resolves client issues and escalations, and oversees client follow-up communication.
- Drives client visits through strategic client communication and local marketing efforts.
- Develops strategic marketing plan to engage veterinarians in the community through various events.
- Manages the overall reputation of the hospital through social media, online marketing campaigns, and local marketing and community efforts.
- Ensures payroll is accurately completed and submitted for all hospital staff.
- Manages accounts receivable and cash on hand, including performing invoice audit reviews.
- Manages hospital inventory and controls facility and administrative costs.
- Performs other duties essential to the performance of the hospital as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related degree is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in a manager role, including customer service experience.
- Experience in a veterinary hospital or equine/mixed animal hospital setting in positions of increased responsibility is a plus.
- Multi-functional and multi-site operations including budget and labor management.
- Manage time and tasks appropriately and remain flexible with assigned duties.
- Supervisory and leadership experience.
- Reporting and data analysis.
- Problem solving and resolution management skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills i.e. Microsoft Office suite. Previous practice management software knowledge preferred.
- Interpersonal skills with staff and clients, and works well in a team environment.
- Customer service strategies and effective marketing techniques.
- HR policies and protocol development.
- Staff management including: coaching, developing, and motivating staff.
- Conduct performance appraisals.
- Delegate responsibility and achieve results with hospital team members.
- Make decisions confidently and effectively.
- Model a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional nights and weekends, to support the operational needs of the 24/7 hospital
This position includes a fantastic benefits package. Salary pending experience.
Earliest Start Date:
Selma, Texas, United States