Are you looking for a practice where you will be recognized for your contributions and where you are able to excel at high quality veterinary care? Then look no more! Glade Valley Animal Hospital in Frederick, Maryland is seeking a dedicated, enthusiastic professional to join their team. Located one hour north of Washington DC, Glade Valley Animal Hospital is a small animal practice that has served the local community for over 70 years. Our team enjoys working here because we recognize the importance of the relationships between humans and animals, and we see our clients and patients as extended family.
Our hospital is committed to providing high quality, compassionate care to our patients and clients. Our modern facility includes three exam rooms, lab area, large treatment area with wet sink and separate dental station, radiology suite, surgical suite, patient isolation suite, indoor kennels, surgical kennels, and teammate lounge.
We are located in an upscale community with an average household income that allows the practice of quality veterinary medicine. If you are looking to join a team that shares your passion for animals, we would love to see your application!
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for assisting veterinarians and veterinary technicians in the care of animals. The assistant will help maintain a clean, efficient, and healthy environment for animals being treated or boarded at the hospital. Veterinary assistants will also help restrain animals during procedures and keep treatment, exam and surgery rooms stocked with supplies.
- Assist doctors and vet techs with appointments, prep patients for surgery and minor procedures, and proactively set up any equipment and or tools to be used for a patient
- Collect laboratory samples such as fecal, urine, and ear cytology’s
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures
- Obtain accurate vital signs on patients
- Document any changes of a pet’s condition and vital signs appropriately in medical records and notify doctor or veterinary technicians of any unusual medical or behavioral problems
- Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital including kennels and runs, treatment areas, exam rooms, and surgery suite
- Properly clean and sterilize surgery packs
- Communicate with clients per hospital policy in a compassionate and professional way on either the status of their pet, or any questions they may have
- Perform other duties as assigned by doctors, receptionists, and veterinary technicians to assist in the smooth flow of the daily operation of the clinic
Responsibilities / Qualifications
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Knowledge of medical procedures and animal handling
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays)
- SVP offers educational assistance for qualified teammates to enroll in AVMA-CVTEA accredited veterinary technician programs
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 4,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!
Earliest Start Date:
Frederick, Maryland, United States