Medical Director with Buy-in/ownership share potential
Take Your Life Back! Join Underwood Animal Clinic, where you can practice medicine without Corporate interference. We are a small-town clinic, with big industry support. We are looking for a Medical Director/Managing Veterinarian with the heart of a teacher, who understands they will succeed as their team succeeds. Our clinic is currently modernizing everything to level-up our already great reputation of care. Come be part of the NEW Underwood Animal Clinic!
Underwood Animal Clinic (UAC) is a small animal practice with three veterinarians, dealing primarily with dogs and cats. The practice opened in April 1984 and moved to its current freestanding building in April 1989. This progressive practice contains state-of-the-art equipment with:
About the area
Located in La Porte, Texas, the clinic is approximately 45 minutes from both Houston and Galveston and just ten minutes off Highway 225. With a population of about 40,000, La Porte is a bedroom community in a predominately blue-collar neighborhood. La Porte offers easy access to Gulf Coast living. Just minutes from Houston, where the economy is always booming!
The Managing DVM is responsible for providing medical leadership for the hospital, managing associate veterinarians and assuring regulatory compliance relating to the practice of veterinary medicine. The Managing DVM is also responsible for creating an environment of teamwork in which quality medicine is delivered.
In partnership with the Hospital Manager, the Managing DVM is responsible for the financial performance of the hospital, preparing operating and capital budgets, and meeting budget expectations. In addition, the Hospital Manager and Managing DVM are responsible for directing staff and the overall management of the practice, under the direction of NVA Divisional Leadership.
Advancing Medical Care
• Oversees surgical and medical cases for all doctors, insuring positive outcomes, accurate estimates, and client communication and education.
• Maintains and improves the quality of medical and surgical procedures.
• Answers client questions and concerns regarding medical and surgical procedures.
• Oversight and direction of medical standards and quality of care.
• Establishment of medical protocols.
• Recommendation of hospital inventory.
• Assure current licensure of all DVMs.
• Documents the required hours of continuing education credits per calendar year and CE completion.
• Oversees transfer of medical cases from doctor to doctor.
Leading Staff and Practice
• Participates in the recruiting and interviewing process for DVMs, and when appropriate general staff members.
• Monitors DVM performance and production.
• Prepares DVM work schedules.
• Develops and monitors hospital-specific client compliance protocols and procedures.
• Participates in technician appraisal and counseling sessions by relaying appropriate information to the Hospital Manager.
• Partners with the Hospital Manager to make hiring and termination recommendations.
• Trains all medical staff, including the mentoring of new graduates.
• Supports the Hospital Manager in the development and delivery of staff training programs.
• Creates a positive work environment and works with the Hospital Manager to resolve staff problems, concerns, and conflicts.
• In partnership with the Hospital Manager, develops a workplace conductive to high employee morale, ensuring positive working relationships between clients, doctors and staff.
• Minimizes waste and controls costs relating to medical supplies, surgical instruments, and drug inventories.
• Responsible for the financial performance of the hospital including revenue and hospital contribution growth, which includes managing all hospital expenses.
• With the hospital team and supported by the Divisional Leadership, prepares an annual planning matrix, operating budget and capital budget.
• Takes ownership for the revenue and success of the practice by monitoring key financial reports.
Growing the Practice
• Partners with the Hospital Manager to drive patient visits and community involvement.
• Capable of championing change and driving innovative programs in the hospital.
• Monitors client service, marketing, and NVA growth initiatives
• In partnership with the Hospital Manager, continually looks for ways to innovate operational practices that improve the growth of the practice.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
La Porte, Texas, United States