$2,500 Sign-on bonus offered!!
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding new career in veterinary medicine? Does emergency veterinary medicine excite you, but so does having a life outside of the veterinary hospital?
Animal Medical Center, located less than 15 miles outside of Richmond, VA is a small animal 24/7 emergency hospital that is AAHA-accredited and also provides quality, affordable care to the pets of Central Virginia.
With a fun-loving and friendly staff, plus a state-of-the-art hospital to support you, you will make a difference daily in the lives of people and their pets. If you want to provide outstanding care, be appreciated as a professional, and you have a lot to offer our veterinary team and our patients, then we have the opportunity for you! Plus our set schedules for emergency shifts allows you to effectively plan for your vacations, family time and your life outside of work.
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Techs also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animal’s condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Perform initial evaluation of the pet’s condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pet’s record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
Responsibilities / Qualifications
- High School diploma or GED certificate with at least one (1) year of experience as a Veterinary Technician
- License to practice Veterinary Technology within the state of Virginia
- Prior experience in an emergency veterinary hospital strongly preferred
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Cornerstone preferred
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays)
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 1,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!
Earliest Start Date:
Midlothian, Virginia, United States