Patton Chapel is located in the heart of Hoover, AL. We have had the opportunity to serve the pets and people of the greater Birmingham area since 1951. We are active in our community with local rescues and events. We also offer high quality medical care, dentistry, boarding, grooming, and reproductive services. We are our clients’ partners in medicine, our patients’ advocates of care, and facilitators of more memories for every family that walks through our door.
The Patton Chapel team is fueled by their passion for helping animals along with having an enjoyable and upbeat work environment. At Patton Chapel we take pride in addressing every pet’s specific needs from medical to boarding to grooming. If you are interested in joining our family, we love to have like-minded individuals in which we can grow and work toward fulfilling our “Why” in helping pets.
The Kennel Assistant is responsible for providing a clean, efficient and healthy environment for the animals being treated or boarded at the hospital. A day in the life of a Kennel Assistant:
- Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital, including kennel area, runs, treatment area, and outside grounds.
- Feed hospitalized animals and boarders.
- Monitor and record important information about the animals’ conditions, behavior and habits (elimination, eating, etc.).
- Walk animals three times a day.
- Notify the Doctor or a Veterinary Technician/Assistant of unusual medical or behavioral problems.
- Clean treatment, exam, surgery and lab areas daily.
- Maintain laundry throughout the day and keep laundry area neat.
- Assist the Doctor and Veterinary Assistant with restraint and treatment of animals.
- Monitor and maintain the kennel inventory to include food, cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned that assist the Doctor, Receptionist and Veterinarian Technicians/Assistants in the smooth flow and operation of the clinic, care of clients and service to the clients.
Responsibilities / Qualifications
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Flexible schedule including some weekend/holiday shifts.
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Previous experience as a kennel assistant
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays) – for eligible positions only
- SVP offers educational assistance for qualified teammates to enroll in AVMA-CVTEA accredited veterinary technician programs
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 4,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!
Earliest Start Date:
Hoover, Alabama, United States