Minooka Animal Hospital
How to Apply
Request an application and return to 103 Industrial Drive Minooka, Illinois 60447
The Kennel Assistant is responsible for the daily care and monitoring of hospital patients and boarding pets. For this reason, the Kennel Assistant must be compassionate and enjoy working closely with the patients.
This is a full time & part time position; scheduled days and hours may vary based on hospital need. Overtime is possible and weekend and holiday work is required. This position requires standing for long periods of time and some heavy lifting may be involved.
The Kennel Assistant reports to the Hospital Manager and Kennel Manager. The Kennel Assistant must wear proper attire (scrub top and pants, tennis shoes or something similar, no sandals or anything open toed).
Job Duties and Responsibilities :
• Follows time clock procedures for clocking in and out at the start and end of the shift.
• Reports to work on time for each shift.
• Ensures the kennel facility is clean and tidy, maintaining a professional appearance at all times.
• Assists the Hospital Manager with special projects during slow times.
• Maintains a professional appearance and calm demeanor with all clients and team members.
• Walks, feeds, and provides water for hospital patients and boarders.
• Cleans patient cages and runs daily and as needed.
• Washes, dries, and stores towels and boarding facility bedding.
• Demonstrates and utilizes proper restraining techniques.
• Reads and accurately interprets the patient chart for any special situations.
• Monitors patients’ behaviors and notes potentially aggressive behaviors; requests assistance when needed.
• Under the supervision of a DVM or Veterinary Technician, provides boarders’ medications and records treatments accurately in the charts.
• Escalates any patient health concerns to a Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian in a timely manner.
• Check all pets for cleanliness prior to discharge. Clean, bathe pets prior to discharge if it applies.
• On the day of discharge, gathers all of the pet’s personal belongings for the client.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic veterinary medical knowledge is desired
• Client service and interpersonal skills
• Patient restraint techniques
• Reading and interpreting patient charts and treatment sheets (travel/circle sheets)
• Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, E-mail, and AVImark experience preferred)
• Professional and courteous
• Willingness to learn
• Attention to detail
• Adherence to procedures and protocols
• Works well in team environment
• Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision
Qualifications: Education/ Experience
• High school degree preferred
• Prior kennel experience not required but is a plus
Minooka, Illinois, United States