Midwest Animal Hospital seeks Kennel Attendant to join their growing team! The kennel attendant is responsible for the daily care, feeding and exercise of all boarding and hospitalized pets. He/She is to pay close attention to pets’ status such as signs of stress and changes in eating or elimination habits, promptly notifying technicians and/or veterinarians when a pet needs medical attention. Assisting the technicians and doctors is required, which includes animal restraint, assisting in surgery/treatments and client service. The kennel attendant interacts with clients in person and by phone. Proper record documentation and accurate completion of boarding paperwork is critical. A kennel attendant must pay close attention to details, understand and follow proper feeding and sanitation procedures and monitor boarding and hospitalized pets. A kennel attendant is also responsible for all hospital maintenance including the parking lot. We offer the potential for growth and opportunity to train to become Veterinary Assistant!
• Provide compassionate care to boarding pets and hospitalized patients
• Walk through kennel areas regularly, checking each pet for abnormal activity such as vomiting, diarrhea or blood in the cage/run
• Recognize emergency situations, enlisting the aid of doctors and technicians
• Mark records correctly for abnormal eating/weight/elimination habits
• Feed and water animals according to schedules and special instructions
• Clean and disinfect cages, runs and yards as needed, using hoses and spray bottles fo disinfectant. Use squeegees to remove excess water.
• Clean cat litter boxes and disinfect kitty condos.
• Clean and disinfect all water and food bowls.
• Wear personal protective equipment required for each job duty and keep PPE in good working order. PPE includes goggles or face shields, aprons, gloves and/or other equipment assigned.
• Move pets to outside runs to disinfect kennels no less than four times daily. Return animals to correct kennels.
• Replace soiled bedding in cages/runs.
• Operate washer/dryer to clean hospital laundry.
• Give baths to pets on scheduled day of departure, or as necessary during boarding/hospitalization; this may include performing medicated baths or dips.
• Perform nail trimming and ear cleaning for boarding pets as needed.
• Supervise animals when they are in outdoor areas.
• Assist daycare team and perform “cuddletime” and “daycare” as requested
• Assist the receptionist in the boarding pet check-in/out; this includes retrieving and bringing up pet from boarding, taking special instructions for feeding or additional services, returning all personal items upon discharge, and keeping record of all important information.
• Administer flea and tick control on pets as requested by a veterinarian
• Place ID collars on all animals •
Take pets to treatment area for all medical services to be administered.
• Collect any samples (fecal or urine) as requested by a veterinarian.
• Sweep /Vacuum and mop all hospital floors and change all garbages.
• Keep parking lot and dumpster areas clean.
• Know proper animal handling and restraint techniques
• Provide facility tours for clients, explain services offered
• Maintain food and supply storage
• Understand infectious diseases and how to control and prevent their spread
• Communicate with clients in person and on the phone
• Attend monthly mandatory staff meetings
• Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
• Endure standing and walking on hard floor surfaces for extended periods of time
• Able to work in noisy work conditions with sounds from animals and equipment
• Take safety precautions for exposure to toxins, drugs, anesthesia and radiation
Midwest Animal Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Midwest Animal Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Orland Park, Illinois, United States