WHO WE ARE:
National Veterinary Associates (NVA™) is the largest private owner of freestanding veterinary hospitals, pet resorts and specialty pet hospitals with locations in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Each general practice hospital, specialty hospital and pet resort operates under their own unique brand. With rapid annual growth through acquisition, NVA seeks individuals with the ability and knowledge to manage the current operation and scale tomorrow to support a much larger and complex organizational footprint. Our many veterinarians provide a full range of medical and surgical services, and our local hospital and pet resort leaders embody the entrepreneurial spirit in which NVA was created. NVA believes in putting clients and community first, engaging with respect and integrity, and making a lasting and positive impact. We are a community dedicated to the love of animals and the people who love them.
National Veterinary Associates is seeking a Doctor Relations Specialist (Transition); Business Development. This doctor works with veterinarians who are selling their practice to or partnering with NVA to ensure that the associate doctors are signed on before sale. A key part of this role involves identifying and flagging doctors who may be at risk of leaving at or after sale as well as recognizing any other operational risks. The position is part of Business Development and the overall transition team of NVA working in cooperation with accounting, legal, transition managers and operations to ensure that the hospital has a smooth transition to NVA.
NATURE OF WORK AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Gather information from sellers and pre-sale documents and relay to attorneys to have an employment agreement created for each associate veterinarian
- Meet with Associate DVMs at hospitals just before they join NVA and to get the doctors comfortable with who we are so that they’re signed on and feel good about joining NVA. Learn what their short term goals are and what NVA can do to support them.
- Assess benefits and work with benefit specialist on health insurance transition and retirement plan matches and assist in communication to payroll or legal as needed.
- Work with finance on any cost changes and note any budgetary planning/impact items.
- Communicate to Operations/Division Leadership any DVM needs / professional aspirations and capital requests.
- Be able to assess culture and discretely find issues with the hospital and discriminate between issues of note and more serious deal interruption items:
- HR issues
- Leadership concerns
- Revenue or cost structure concerns
- Note apparent future performance/local market challenges
- Flag concerns with BD, Deal Managers and Ops in an appropriate manner
- Assist Deal Managers with seller communications and timelines during pre-close transition period.
- Work with Transition Support Manager (TSM) on pre-close fact-finding and any outstanding DVM items/questions post-close
- Assist Deal Managers and teams /or BD Specialists with sellers pre or post LOI to include initial “pitch” meetings where requested
- As a team of DVMs within NVA field leadership, assist operations and legal when medical questions arise
- Attend DVM recruiting events when requested and schedule allows
- Host sellers or hospital teams at company meetings/dinners when requested
- Prefer DVM with business experience, ideally someone who’s been with NVA but willing to consider outside candidates. Strong emotional intelligence needed.
The candidate should:
- Have an outgoing, approachable personality and be able instantly build rapport and trust with those they’ll meet
- Be able to quickly get a sense of concerns and issues without being apparent
- Have a business sense and be able to understand cost impacts at the hospital level
- Be able to travel up to 75%-80% at times – travel can be very short notice and frequently changes last minute
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Candidate can work from home office anywhere in the United States with near access to a major airport.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
NVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship. Hiring is contingent on candidate verifying their eligibility to work in the United States.
*This role is not open to receiving agency candidates and any contingent submissions will not be honored.
Earliest Start Date:
Remote - USA, United States