National Veterinary Associates (NVA) is the largest independent owner of veterinary hospitals and pet resorts in the United States. We are backed by Private Equity Funds and own or partner with over 700 General Practice Hospitals, Specialty and ER hospitals, and Pet Resorts in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. With over 12,000 animal health professionals, our mission is “to improve the comfort and well-being of pets by providing progressive and compassionate care.” Our many veterinarians provide a full range of medical and surgical services, and our local hospital and pet resort leaders embody the entrepreneurial spirit in which NVA was created. NVA believes in putting clients and community first, engaging with respect and integrity, and making a lasting and positive impact by working as a team.
The pet industry is large, rapidly growing, and dynamic. Over 60% of American households own pets, and the industry is projected to reach $96 billion in 2020, with steady upward trajectory. Younger generations are waiting longer to get married and have children, and in the meantime are “humanizing” their pets and spending more than ever on their four-legged family members. There is a high level of M&A and investment activity, driven by the realignment of service providers, pet retailers, and marketers who are reacting to consumer trends and a healthy e-commerce market. Additionally, there is a proliferation of pet-tech platforms, services and products that are targeting digitally savvy businesses and consumers across both veterinary health and non-medical pet care service.
Director of Product Management – Business Intelligence & Data Analytics
The Director of Product Management – Business Intelligence and Data Analytics will lead a team of Product Managers and Business Analysts for National Veterinary Associates (NVA). The Director of Product Management – Business Intelligence and Data Analytics will also directly take ownership of select high-priority business intelligence (BI) products (e.g. interactive dashboards, reports, and self-service tools). The Director of Product Management – Business Intelligence and Data Analytics will function as a strategic partner to business stakeholders, working closely with them to identify opportunities to add value through new BI products and enhancements to existing products, and to shepherd these products through the development lifecycle. The Director of Product Management – Business Intelligence and Data Analytics will work closely with the Sr. Director, BI & Data Analytics and other leaders to define strategy for BI and analytic products.
• Lead a team of Product Managers and Business Analysts, providing supervision and support.
• Work closely with the Sr. Director, BI & Data Analytics and other leaders to define strategy for BI and analytic products.
• Shepherd select high-priority BI products through the development lifecycle (conceptualization, requirements gathering, development, QA, UAT, production, delivery), taking ultimate responsibility at every stage, even if relying on other team members for execution.
• Inspire business stakeholders/users at all levels of the organization by communicating the potential value of BI products, both quantitatively and qualitatively.
• Build relationships with business stakeholders to understand the opportunities and challenges they face, and how BI can be leveraged to meet these.
• Take an entrepreneurial stance, proactively identifying opportunities to add value to the business through BI products.
• Take lead in defining the vision for new BI products (e.g. interactive dashboards, reports, and self-service tools) within a particular line of business or domain.
• Take ownership for assigned BI products and primary overall responsibility for their success.
• Elicit use cases, user stories, and other requirements for BI products from business stakeholders, and document these requirements using Jira or similar tools.
• Communicate requirements for BI products to developers and engineers.
• Collaborate with QA analysts to define QA testing methods and standards for BI products.
• Work flexibly and comfortably within Agile, waterfall, and request-driven frameworks.
• Quantitatively measure the impact, benefits, and value of BI products through operational, financial, and stakeholder opinion KPIs and metrics.
• Conduct user research to identify and understand opportunities and challenges that can be addressed through BI products.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• 7+ years of experience as a product manager/product owner, shepherding software, BI, or analytics products through the development lifecycle within a complex organization.
• Significant experience with Agile Product Management.
• Bachelor’s degree, military experience, or an additional 3 years of relevant professional experience (e.g. as a BI developer or business analyst).
• 3+ years of experience in the health care or veterinary industries (including clinical, administrative, or BI experience).
• 2+ years of experience in product management/product ownership for BI or analytic products/solutions.
• 10+ years of experience in product manager/product owner roles.
• 2+ years of experience in data analytics, data science, or predictive modeling.
• 3+ years of experience working with financial/accounting data either in a BI-related role or in an accounting role.
• MBA or other relevant advanced degree.
NVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship. Hiring is contingent on candidate verifying their eligibility to work in the United States and passing a complete background check and drug screen.
*This role is not open to receiving agency candidates and any contingent submissions will not be honored.
Agoura Hills, California, United States