Starch Pet Hospital, located in Des Moines, Iowa, and University West Pet Clinic, located in Clive, Iowa, are seeking an Associate Veterinarian to join our team (Generous Sign-on/Retention Bonus and Relocation).
Starch Pet Hospital and University West Pet Clinics are two well-established full service veterinary hospitals in the Des Moines metro area. Starch Pet Hospital was originally founded in the late 1940’s and moved to a new 4500 sq. ft. building in 1996. University West was established in 1976, and is a 4500-sq. ft. hospital that was extensively remodeled in 2006.
We are seeking an associate veterinarian to join our two hospital, 8 veterinarian team. Both hospitals are fully staffed with excellent technicians and support staff that provide a busy, fast paced, congenial work environment. We strive to provide quality and compassionate care to our patients. Strong communication is essential. Our clientele is diverse and expect the best quality medicine and surgery available. Candidate shall practice high quality medicine while possessing a strong desire to learn and perform surgeries ranging from spays and neuters to orthopedics and soft tissue surgeries of all types.
About our Hospitals
- Both hospitals are full service hospitals with 4 exam rooms, dedicated surgery suites, large well equipped treatment areas, as well as grooming and boarding areas.
- Fully equipped in house laboratory with IDEXX chemistry and blood analyzers.
- Digital Radiology, ultrasound
- Companion laser therapy unit
- Dental services: Dental exams, Dental Radiographs, cleaning, polishing and extractions
- Two emergency/Specialty Practices in area to refer to
- Iowa State University small animal hospital 40 miles away in Ames
- Expansive In-house pharmacy as well as several compounding pharmacies in area
- Senior doctors very willing to share wide breadth of experience
- Senior doctors and management very open to and willing to try new advances in surgery and medicine.
About Des Moines
Des Moines is in central Iowa and is the capital city for the state. The Des Moines metro area has a population of an estimated 611,000 people and is the fastest growing area of the state. The area offers all of the amenities of a larger metropolitan area including restaurants and entertainment, along with core Midwestern values, and affordable cost of living. In 2017 Des Moines ranked 9th in US News & World Report 100 best places to live in the USA.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Associate Veterinarian is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with a Managing Doctor and supporting medical staff. This individual advances the quality of medicine in the practice and provides exceptional client service to our clients and patients.
- Builds rapport with clients by gathering information and listening to, and empathizing with their concerns
- Performs physical examinations and diagnostic/medical/surgical/dental procedures that deliver the highest quality care while minimizing patient stress and discomfort.
- Communicates with clients on topics such as pet diagnosis, treatment plans, preventive health care, and nutritional needs.
- Maintains client/patient medical/surgical records and makes certain all necessary logs are kept up-to-date through established protocols.
- Stays current on new medical information and changes in veterinary medicine.
- Assists in the development of the paraprofessional team to ensure delivery of the highest quality care and exceptional client service.
- Presents a positive image of the hospital in the professional community and to the general public.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or related degree from an accredited university.
- Licensure in good standing to practice in the state in which applicant is to be employed.
- Commitment to practicing the highest standard of medicine and upholding veterinary code of ethics.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works collaboratively with hospital team members.
- Makes decisions confidently and effectively.
- Manages time and tasks appropriately.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
Earliest Start Date:
Des Moines, Iowa, United States