The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at University College Dublin (UCD) was established in 1946 and was located in Ballsbridge for many years. The campaign for a new Veterinary School on UCD’s Belfield campus was launched in 1992. Ten years later, the new school opened there in June 2002. After a restructuring in the University, the Veterinary School was merged with the School of Agriculture and Food Science in 2005, before again becoming an autonomous School in September 2011.
The UCD School of Veterinary Medicine is the only centre for veterinary education in Ireland, and we enjoy a long and proud tradition of training veterinary professionals to the highest standards. We are accredited by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) and the School is one of only six veterinary schools currently accredited by the AVMA in Europe. We provide excellent facilities for the care of animals and training opportunities for Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Nursing students.